Complaints about not having Unreleased code yet

I have indicated in the commit message related to that code that it was from the Cuboid mode (as well as some other features ported from the Cuboid mod). In every commit we made that involved porting from a mod, we indicated that the port was from that particular mod.

ah, ind33d.

how do u know ?

yes, per definition.

Are the messages, by any chance, only in your private repo?

A year of development and still nothing’s done?

wat

At this point im so annoyed with this project, i don’t want it any more. Isn’t that sad? Sorry. :frowning:

Annoyed about what, exactly? Because this thread is about the unreleased code, so I assume its that?

Otherwise, drama can indeed make or break a project, but I hope we can all agree that letting such bullshit stop me from having a proper FoV slider kill an updated release would just suck.

@Hendrich:
The initial post was about a release in general, at least i interpreted it that way:

The exact annoyment starts with these endless delays of deadlines. Maybe it is abit dickish to demand a release but those releases were promisted so often that i feel brain fucked by all this. I’m not interested in the code because i wouldn’t use it but i can understand that some ppl here want it. Why not being honest and say that you fucked up - at least deadline-wise.

I hold back for a long time now and all i see over and over are endless text-blocks and ‘not much done’. I don’t try to be mean here or troll you but i’m really disappointed. If you promise stuff then deliver. Stop fucking around.

2 Likes

Posting this just in case someone hasn’t been paying attention:

5 Likes

Depending on the “demands”, sure. I’m not against holding people accountable, but being a “dick” about it isn’t going to gain them anymore free time, resources or motivation to get it done on time.

Seems reasonable. Likewise, any new “promises” need to be handed out more cautiously than handing out free money. For a team with such limited resources, the only reasonable timeline should always be “When its done™”.

i dont want ur face any more

#wooped

[size=1]jk[/size]

on topic: yes the code is very rough so far but we, the devs, are working around the clock for you so don’t worry we will release it soon!! hang in there

2 Likes

How comforting! Let me just say that we appreciate how hard you and the devs work.

3 Likes

insignificant statistic based on set of size 0, the set being the modding community (consisting of 1 d00d), excluding those who have already expressed abstinence from contributing code.

by definition, darklegion development consists of contributors, or rather contributions, to Tremulous.

what part of the often-repeated explanations (in this thread !) did u fail to not deliberately_ignore ?

1 Like

Yes, blame the lack of contributors on… the lack of contributors?

I wasn’t developing Tremulous, but a fork of it.

No one cares about the excuses.

1 Like

^fixed.

that still falls within the definition of Tremulous. but in any case, since ur „fork code” applies (legally) to Tremulous, the former is a contribution to the latter, and thus u’re included.

in other words, „darklegion development” is a fancy name for „various authors”, to avoid author-list hell.

why is this a response to me, not to @Matth ?

Yes, no contributors = no contributions, but why there are no contributors? Because there’s no modding community (=no contributors)?

The original developers credited every contributor on tremulous.net and in-game and kept the SVN repository (including the authors of all the changes) public for everyone to look at.

Because, by convention, people response to the author of text they want to comment on and not someone else.

Seems valid, only it is not sound even in Tremulous’ current state, as Tremulous does have active contributors (plural as in more than one), it does have contributions, there are still active modders, this community is not dead, and this project is nowhere near abandoned, but I do agree that the community could go much much further after an initial release (provided there is something of sufficient quality released).

I agree. What the community does care about is results and tangible progress that they can feel and experience. Actions speak louder than words, and that is my current primary focus.

Either we fail and this particular thread gets forgotten in an abyss of obscurity as life always goes on. Or we succeed and this thread gets forgotten in an abyss of obscurity as people will be too busy having fun, on an updated advancing Tremulous in a growing community of players and contributors, to care about this current foot note in Tremulous’s timeline.

Perhaps some may find the second possibility outlandish at this current point in time, but I know that even though our objectives are not easy to achieve, they are achievable, reasonable, and practical. I know we have the capabilities, interest, and willingness to follow through. The community will know that as well, as the milestones that they can see first hand are conquered, and that the realization of a successful Tremulous revival becomes clearer.

I am not going to say how much longer this will take (until I know that we will release on a specific day without the possibility of any delay/postponement), but what I will do is do my best in in helping make our objectives reality, and I have confidence that enough of the other contributors in this community will do the same.

^fixed.1

1 the „=” sign got crossed out (horizontally), and replaced with a bold (which is often irrelevant to the following sign) „⇒” sign. xD

well, the most useful answer is: because shit happens, ie.

(this is also the most useful answer to why the P vs NP PROBLEM has not been resolved, and in general to why didn’t the human race discover X, either to this point in time, or some given time before the human race actually did.)

so the chain of logic is: (contributions = ∅) ⇐ (contributors = ∅) ⇔ (modding_community = ∅) ⇐ (shit happens) ⇐ (LAW™S_OF(R)_PHYSICS(C))

WRONG.

WRONG.

WRONG.

WRONG.

yes, and since this is so obvious, the question must be asking for a more in-depth explanation, that is:

• ur response suggests that „why not […] say that you fucked up” was not directed to a post essentially saying that we fucked up. really ?
  • otherwise, u’re calling the linked explanations excuses, so ur response could be applied to any elaboration on putting off of deadlines, and is thus better applied once and preemptively, to the „why not [collect excuses]”. wat ?

Totally has nothing to do with the project being closed-source¹.

¹ No one outside GrangerHub can build the entire thing so it’s effectively not open-source. You can argue it’s “99% open-source” but it’s meaningless and no one cares.

You’re using code from Cuboid.

Nothing is obvious when talking to you because you have a habit of writing incomprehensible sentences.

I don’t know that the post is “essentially saying” because it’s a few pages long and I don’t have the time to decrypt it. I just assumed it contains excuses (what else could “often-repeated explanations” mean?).

WTF? Would the following conversation make any logical sense?’

[quote]Matth: Why not being honest and say that you fucked up?
enneract: No one cares about the excuses. //what fucking excuses?[/quote]

so if it’s 1 line that is not open source (eg. dragoon chomp damage decreated from 80 to 72), then it’s meaningless to open source, and noone cares.

that comment of mine was originally to @Menace13, to answer „Why has there been exactly this much progress ?”. when quoting myself, i signed that part of my comment off under the interpretation with this thread in mind: „contribution” meant an instance of members of the „modding community” submitting code. otherwise, there have been multiple, and there r going to be multiple contributions of the „code adoption” kind.

yes.

Only one line being off would be just a minor inconvenience, compared to missing most of the new functionality.

What does it matter? Either way some of the code I’ve written is used by your project.

For the record, I don’t care if you use it or not. I don’t even care about being credited, because that was never the point of my work. My problem is the hypocrisy surrounding the project, such as saying you’re a community “open to everyone,” then not releasing the code and calling contributors “thieves.”

TIL making excuses = admitting one’s mistakes (no, they’re not completely opposite, as it turns out).

• still, why does anyone need to see the GH-exclusive code to contribute ?
  • have u counted the size of the public new stuff (among others, the tremulous.net’s GitHub repository: latest (new) vs GPP release (non-new)) and estimated that of the non-public ?
  • btw, what if everything was made public, except for the multi-protocol code ?

now u know exactly what i meant, and how that fits into the picture of why there r as many contributions as there r.

say no more until u’ve re-read the explanations.

WRONG. u’re not a contributor (see above), and yes, u’re a fucking crook.

that’s called overlearning. u should have learned no more than the fact that „excuse me, i fucked up” is an explanation for the proposition that we were not deliberately lying. btw, congratulations, u’ve successfully lost track of this part of the thread.