Proper game server operation with griefers in play

Sounds good

Do you have a plan?

1 Like

i have plenty of ingredients in mind. i don’t have a full plan, but i estimate that it should be possile to achieve the best situation on the 3rd count, and almost the best situation in the 1st and 2nd counts.

Alright. Well then. I guess we’ll all be waiting for that. Better for something to be well-thought out in advance than getting a lesser solution now.

Lets put your claims towards GrangerHub administration aside and instead tackle this idea, I hope we can both agree that addressing them isn’t going to take this thread anywhere pleasant. I find this idea interesting. The idea of having a robust training program for current and new administrators might help create a strict culture of admins who know what they are doing. However, this comes with a few caveats however:

1. The need for having experienced administrators to teach new administrators at all. Experience meaning an X amount of time acting as an administrator who understands how these “tools” work.
  2. Whether these administrators are competent or trust-worthy at all.
  3. Setting up the training program. How does it work? Where would it take place? When does it start? On what maps? Will they be coached with real players?
  4. Adapting the current Admin selection and promotion system to this training program.
  5. Determining the success and failure states of training.
  6. Most importantly, time.

Time is important. Time is money. Time is life. And everyone has limited time to spend. That means only a few, dedicated players would be able to be selected based on experience, competence, succeed in training, know the rules and enforce their responsibilities competently.

This all sounds ideal until we start thinking of the potential issues. Who has the time to do this? What if these precious administrators leave for whatever reason? What if they become corrupt? How would training be done equally and fairly to all potential candidates?

I’m genuinely curious to hear your response, Menace.

1 Like

I don’t think a training program even has to be very robust. You could make a quiz using Google Docs with well-described situations and ask for the proper way that person would handle the situation. When I was accepted as a moderator for Dueling Network, the quiz had 20 multiple choice questions about Yu-gi-oh! card rulings, a handful of short answer questions, at least one long answer question about a complicated interaction, and then the admins would also check your ban history/etc. on the site. In that test, 80% was the minimum to be considered for admin, which I succeeded in getting all 4 times I took the exam.

For GrangerHub, just have questions like “Player A does this. Player B does this. What should you do?” with a few answers. I could spend an hour of my time and make a quiz about the server rules and how to use admin commands and when to use admin commands, and prospective admins could take it in under 15 minutes, and everyone would be better off.

EDIT: submitted to early. Rest of post:

I’m not saying this kind of thing could or should replace the current “decide amongst admins” method, but it would definitely provide an additional metric for considering the pros and cons of applicants. Anybody accepted admin could also then be told what they got wrong and why, and it helps fill in the blanks of their knowledge.

Obviously there’s a lot more subjectivity for Tremulous administration than handling Yu-gi-oh! card ruling questions (Dueling Network is not automated, so users have to do everything manually, and if they do something wrong they ask a mod/admin for the correct ruling). It’s still better than nothing. As it is, to my knowledge, there’s no way of knowing how experienced an applicant is with admin commands.

I’ll answer the other points (and any response to this idea) later.

3 Likes

That is certainly something that can be done now, and I’m all for it. There are two ways I can see potentially improving upon this concept technologically in Trem for the future:

• Have the quiz available to take in-game via the UI and be able to setup the quiz via a config file (or via the database).

• Take testing to a further level on a training server with bots that simulate various situations that may require admin intervention.

There is a huge flaw with these ideas, along with many ideas and features you come up with: they don’t solve the immediate problem, and provide no faith for the users that you will solve the immediate problem. Solving it when 1.3 comes out won’t retroactively fix any problems caused in the time between now and then.

I’ll try coming up with a draft of some possible questions and a format in the next few days, in hopes it will push this idea forward.

That isn’t a flaw. This is the Tremulous Development category of the forums where the current primary focus is developing Tremulous 1.3. Discussions in this topic for the new administrative systems/features/enhancements/fixes should not be limited to current technical limitations. It is important to understand the current problems, tools, and situations, but it is also important to explore ways in which new technological developments can potentially greatly improve the situations.

or u could devise ur own plan, which is exactly what the development team is for.

personally, by „lack of training”, i meant that some admins don’t even know how to use the tools that r currently available. an admin should know how to quickly pause the game, investigate the case via chat and buildlog, spectatize or ban the offender, revert the abuse of buildables, and resume the game; or, more generally, quickly and effectively use whatever tools r available. any interpretation of „training” beyond this r goals set by other enthusiasts.

ind33d. the primary method to minimize the time wasted, by the whole server community, on bullshit, is by forcing the duties of disruption resolution on a minimum number of individuals, termed admins — thus prioritizing the 1st count (described in the initial post). of course, secondarily, for admins, the time wasted on bullshit should also be minimized.

when it comes to the question of one’s trustworthyness as an admin, the most significant factor is his/her general experience in life, which is difficult to influence by learning material and tests.

as a result, requiring candidates to go through various registration processes, testing, coaching sessions, etc., regardless of the perceived, already-available fitness for an admin, is also bullshit.

When you apply for a job, in general, you fill out an application and then have a job interview. The application step is already completed by users when they apply for admin on this forum, and I think adding a short test on admin responsibilities and commands will both flesh out the application and help the people who decide whether the applicant passes or fails determine if the applicant is fit for the job in a way similar to an interview. Even if you want to do volunteer work, you have to fill out forms and they give you training on how to do the work. I see no problems in having a minimal test for applicants.

which is non-ideal for this world, and is something to look towards trying to avoid.

now that’s gay.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Sparky for President!