[SWIRL] Drop damage over distance from ranged attacks

The purpose of this feature is to provide some counter to the over powered advantage humans have with long ranged weapons against aliens (that almost entirely have melee attacks) in long halls and large open spaces.

I thought the whole idea behind Tremulous’s teams was that Humans were supposed to be good at long distances and Aliens not.

Start a fire in your microwave. Side note, not safe. But hey, it’s plasma.

After looking at a few studies, it seems that shots fired up and then falling down have lowered damage (but would still be able to kill someone anyway). Shooting downwards directly wouldn’t have any significant effect afaik. So yes, it would be a pain in the ass to reproduce realistic/coherent projectile damage/velocity fall-off code-wise I guess.

That’s using Microwaves which are a part of the EM I mentioned here. [quote=“Ckit, post:7, topic:2581”]
If you mean the bloby green plasma you see in scifi, I can only assume that is also as a result of harvesting electromagnetic waves.
[/quote]

Is this because the maximum velocity is already attained when it is shot from the gun? Surely then it depends on the bullet type/gun type.

Unless you shoot from really far away, which then the air resistance would effectively slow down the bullet, which is the case for shooting straight up which doubles the distance traveled before hitting something on ground level, on top of the gravity pulling the bullet back from where it came directly. It would stop at the highest point, reach close to 0m/s, and then fall back until it reaches terminal velocity if it has the time to.

The green stuff in scifi is either light effects or stuff added post-recording; actual plasma from a fire in your microwave is white. I fucking love microwaves. This is reproducible without microwave ovens pretty easily though. Also good to note that plasma will usually get up on top of the oven, and not get pulled by gravity. It shouldn’t be anyway since it is energy (just like fire is), not actual ‘‘matter’’ (yes, controversial use of the term, I didn’t know how to explain better).

I feel you are talking from personal experience, I’ll let you take your combustible plasma microwave in battle to fight the alien threat. Lightning is a form of plasma I referenced and is much more practically weaponized in the form of a Rail gun

1 Like

I am only an expert in blowing shit up in microwaves, not an actual scientist.

2 Likes

WROOOOONG !!!1!

yes, and the job of a physics simulator engine is to approximate appearances.

WROOOOONG !!!1!

congratulations, u have successfully confused a magnetic slingshot with i have no fucking idea what.

speed of light is always constant

“In 1905, Albert Einstein postulated that the speed of light c with respect to any inertial frame is a constant and is independent of the motion of the light source.” In this case, the gun.

“Such particles and waves travel at c regardless of the motion of the source or the inertial reference frame of the observer.” In this case the moving human holding the gun.

Quotes taken from the wikipedia article you linked.

CSGO has a very basic physics engine which was probably coded in 2005.

“Valve has just revealed Source 2, a new, more powerful game engine, at Game Developers Conference 2015. The Source 2 engine is a successor to the original Source engine, which debuted in June 2004 with the launch of Counter-Strike: Source.”

Sorry, 2004.

A railgun, it says at the top.

“The speed at which light propagates through transparent materials, such as glass or air, is less than c; similarly, the speed of radio waves in wire cables is slower than c. The ratio between c and the speed v at which light travels in a material is called the refractive index n of the material (n = c / v). For example, for visible light the refractive index of glass is typically around 1.5, meaning that light in glass travels at c / 1.5 ≈ 200000 km/s; the refractive index of air for visible light is about 1.0003, so the speed of light in air is about 299700 km/s (about 90 km/s slower than c).”

DevHC is right about the speed of light not being constant traveling through materials.

the main point was that the physics engine, a derivative of Havok, is anything but basic.

NO.

u have confused

• a railgun, which is a magnetic slingshot, meaning that it throws rocks, accelerated by magnets;

with

• i have no fucking idea what: some sort of plasma dispenser:

A 10g bullet gains about 100mJ of kinetic energy for every meter it falls. This is rather insignificant compared to the kinetic energy it got from being fired (usually hundreds or even thousands of joules).

A pulse rifle. That is incorrect again as if it was indeed travelling at the speed of light the weapon would be hitscan. Really the pulse rifle IRL would be shooting some kind of luminescent slimey stuff or something.

Actually the pulse rifle is an interesting thing to analyze. What the fuck is it even shooting?

To a certain degree that is true in regards to attacks (however aliens are suppose to generally have the advantage in mobility over long distances). But, having it virtually impossible for aliens to approach humans with good enough aim promotes a form of camping in such situations, where even skilled aliens are at an excessive disadvantage to lower skilled humans.

so that means that something should be done about this issue, which is by reducing long-distance damage, or by some other, 1337er way.1

1 i’ve conceptualized 1337er ways LONG™ ago; i’m not telling u while @cron or @romdos has any power at all.