Huge trem problem

my mouse’s drivers have been upgraded to the latest for a while now, its just that with usb mouse, my computer messes with my mouse and restarts it, so my sensitivity resets

In this situation, the person would benefit more from lowering their com_maxfps until they don’t drop anymore. Obviously if you can’t run tremulous at atleast 60 fps constantly you should stick to android apps.

@burrito Necro on this post, to point to the Network Settings Guide.

@Maejong is correct that com_maxFPS should be lowered until your actual FPS doesn’t drop below that. Also remember that com_maxFPS and cl_maxPackets are tied together… see the link.

that reply is not only bullshit, but its base logic (f any) is the opposite of what the question dictates.

Say a player with a crappy connection (maybe using ISDN or playing overseas to the server) and older computer has com_maxfps 100 (but his hardware can really only render a maximum of 104 FPS, and occasionally dips below 100 to 96-99) :

A 1:1 maxfps/maxpackets ratio with cl_maxpackets 100 may be way too much for this scenario (100 is more suitable for LAN). When his FPS drops below 100, his cl_maxpackets will be cut in half automatically, to 50; which also might be too much for his connection (sometimes).

If he manually sets cl_maxpackets to 50 (which is okay for his connection most of the time) , and then his FPS drops, cl_maxpackets will get cut in half to 25 (certainly okay for his connection).

He would, in general, be better off setting com_maxfps to lower than his minimum render-able FPS, say if he manually sets com_maxfps 90, and cl_maxpackets 46, (2:1 ratio) his FPS will be stable and maximum packets stays constant, suitable for his connection.

crappy in the sense that there is high latency, but no congestion.

maybe. some archaic ISDN providers limit not only the data rate, but also the network packet rate.

WRONG. trying to send more outgoing packets, in general, will just cause the dropping of excessive packets, allowing rates of not only 1 or 0.5 times cl_maxpackets, but also somewhere in between, like 0.9. (btw, for this, it is advizable to keep cl_packetdup on at least 1.)

in any case, it’s better to fix the halving bug than blabber about how to get the most alongside it. even if u do blabber about it, make a notice that „careful setting of cl_maxpackets (<125) is required only for crappy network connections in 4th-world countries”.

1 Like

i am sorry cron, but devhc is not human

he is an artificial intelligence uploaded to the internet with the sole purpose of making mankind whole again

personally I am far more inclined to trust his experience with TECHNOLOGY over that of a puny mortal’s