Map release: Fortification

Windows 10 is still not stable yet because of the program ages relationship. My opinion is better using Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 for stabilize it unless you can set compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3.

Another one is NetRadiant had supported Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 as it already had fixed bugs for latest version, but GtkRadiant is not supposed be able to continue improving functions for Tremulous since 1.6.0 version. The last supported for Tremulous is 1.5.0 and it’s from 2007 updated, that because it was outdated and only will supported up to Windows Vista and for setting compatibility mode required are Windows 7 or 8.1.

I haven’t experienced the missing particle bug Ckit mentioned on the stock gpp client nor on in development 1.3 client on Fedora for this map on test7341 and on GrangerClub (I didn’t get a chance to try the map on GrangerPub yet, but it should work the same exact way as on GrangerClub).

On test7341 there are missing sounds for the lifts, but that seems to be a bug with the server we need to fix as the sounds are all present on GrangerClub.

It’s likely tremfusion related.

Appears to be happening on some other maps so may not be related to this map.

Fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling the map.

@Matth , which pk3 dependency has the sound files you used for the lift?

the only sound i added was the ambient sound at the landing bay. The lifts use stock trem sounds. Whats the big deal?

I’m tracking down a bug on test7341 where the lift sounds used by Fortification are not loading for some reason.

WARNING: Failed to load sound sound/movers/plats/pt1_strt.wav!
WARNING: could not find sound/movers/plats/pt1_strt.wav - using default
WARNING: Failed to load sound sound/movers/plats/pt1_end.wav!
WARNING: could not find sound/movers/plats/pt1_end.wav - using default

Do you happen to know which stock pk3 file has pt1_strt.wav and pt1_end.wav?

Okay, after playing a bit on fortification, I’ve found one major problem that makes me not want to see it in rotation at the moment.

280 BP is WAY too much. That’s enough for 3 nodes, an arm and medi, and almost 30 turrets. If humans move their base to the upper hallway, rants can only get to the base by the elevator, and that means the base is almost entirely invincible. I don’t see any need for more than 100 BP on this map, even in the default base.

Also, I couldn’t find a single light that is non-solid in v1.1, not sure if that was supposed to be fixed in v1.1 or not. This also means that if you walk up to the wall on an elevator, a light can block you and force the elevator back down.

I will simply add those files in the next release.

@Menace13,
i agree. I will reduce the bp to 140 and not 100 because the map offers more space than fort5 and ghub standard settings are way too low (my opinion).

Yes, physics and logic applies to trem too.

1 Like

Base I made in the bottom bunker of the map.

A forward in a default close to the a’s new location for militant purposes.

EDIT:

Updated it with all 280 BP.

All of the extra BP enable me to do things that are potentially viable but in a default setting are wasteful (I.E. Using arms/Def Computers as node bodyguards).

holy shit you actually use the fullscreen radar? I always thought that thing was obnoxious as hell.

fullscreen radar is OP

1 Like

New version released. See first post.

3 Likes

Fortification version 1.2 is now available to play on the GrangerPub server, on the GrangerClub server, and on the test7341 server.

2 Likes

I really like the style of it, it reminds me of half life a bit.

Well done.

Though in my view perhaps being able to go outside without the invisible wall would make it better.

id like to see a map that isn’t a remake or runs off the basis of atcs thank u

This map is loosely based on the navigation layout of Fort5 in terms of the paths between the bases, the underground, and the center area with a bunker thing (but even the navigation layout is different). Also two of the lifts in Fortification are in similar locations to Fort5, and you can see some general very loose inspiration from Fort5 in the bases, base entrances and the center area, but even those are very different. Everything else in the map is very different and very original.

Remake and original are relative terms. Where do we draw the line? Do we say that maps that have bunkers are remakes of another map with a bunker? Do we say that maps that have the same kinds of doors are remakes of another map with those doors? Do we say that maps that use the default textures and/or sounds are remakes of the default maps?

Imo it doesn’t matter if a map is a remake or not, what is most important is the answer to the question “Is a given map is fun to play?” For me the answer to that question regarding the Fortification map is yes.

Looks good. I would use an entirely different texture set and brush method to differentiate between accessible and non accessible areas. Given the style of the map, it would be entirely feasible to make barb wire fences around the map (and make some barb wire fences broken to make it seem like scenery rather than an obstruction). You could also use sandy textures and make dunes over the steel at the higher levels. You could use a script that made your move speed 75%, 50%, 25% then 0%, so the player feels as though they are slowing down as they try to run up the hill

3 Likes

You can’t deny that the defaults are very similar to atcs and i said a map that isn’t a remake OR runs off the basis of atcs. Fortification has a very similar overall layout design to fort 5 making it a remake. I would just like to see yalt create an original map for once, just once

One of my favorite maps!

what if the light is inside the wall opposed to being on the surface