[MOD & SKINS] Silv3rLight's Skins!

Welcome dear Tremulous players,

Some people may know me already, I’ve been playing on Tremulous for a long time, known as Silv3rLight. I loved this game so much back in the time that I did visual/sounds mods for the game (camouflage alien revamp and stuffs), but note it changes NOTHING in terms of gameplay, it just enhance immersion and atmosphere.

Here are the official post on the Tremulous forums, please have a look: http://tremulous.net/forum/index.php?topic=16325.0

Here is a video I made back in the day for V8 : - YouTube

All the versions are different and unique from each other. Of course, V9 is the latest I made and the better probably.

So, I wanted to ask you, is it possible to add the skins to the server files so anyone can play with it ?

Thank you - A Tremulous fan-boy.

2 Likes

Hi, welcome to grangerhub.

Whilst I like some aspects of this skin, there are other things I dislike. Forcing a skin upon the entire server wouldn’t exactly be fair.

The current system for applying skins to tremulous isn’t perfect, server forced skins require a download and force everyone to play with a skin that some may dislike. Client side skins with sv_pure 0 can provide players with in-game advantages such as glowing dretchs.

A system with a group of pre-selected skins added to the server where you could choose which one you wanted to play with would be perfect. Of course you could also choose to run vanilla if you wished. Skins would have to be within a certain standard and voted for to be added.

This allows players to have individual control over how their game looks whilst also not conferring any ingame advantages. Additionally skins could be more strict or removed from the club server for scrimming/professional play.

I am not sure if that would be possible to implement in the future.

Thanks for your post! That video brought back some memories.

Thank you for the quick answers.

I don’t want to force anyone to play with my skin. I thought at first the server could store files without forcing players to download them. But apparently it’s not the case.

So why not make it un-pure? All the time I’ve been playing on this game, there never was hacking devices from players. And all the servers were “protected” by the presence of admins (thank god). Also there a not more than 50 players per day on this game nowadays, it’s not a place for hacking.

Would you consider setting the server to unpure one day ? I guarantee you the skins are worth it :grin:

Welcome to GrangerHub Previous69 :smiley: ,

You may or may not be aware, but GrangerHub is currently working on the next version of Tremulous, with a new client and new servers (There will be a post soon elaborating further on this project). One of the features of the new client (besides being multiprotocol and capable of being played on all 1.1 servers, gpp servers, and the new servers) is a new OpenGL2 renderer. The new renderer looks awesome (while still having good performance on lower end computers) even on old servers with the old assets as you could see in the screenshots of this post:

But to take the renderer to its full potential, new assets designed to take full advantage of the new features are required. If making such new assets to be tried on the development server is something you might be interested in, I recommend that you take a look at this topic:

I would like to add that having multiple skin sets that players could choose from and switch between in the new servers is definitely a feature we would want to include in the new version, when the appropriate assets are available.

1 Like

This is great news ! I was also following UNVANQUISHED developpement, it looks promising too. As far as I’m concerned, I don’t feel like making any more mods for this game for now, so feel free to take what you may like in my mods. Until this version of Tremulous comes out, can you still consider setting the server to unpure ? :smiley:

The Tyrant retexture looks like it swam in the pool of Quake 1 lava for a bit. :wink:

Yes lol :smiley: But this is from V8, V9 is completely overhauled with more stealthy aliens and green glowing.

We’ll consider it a little latter. I don’t know yet if there are potential problems with setting GrangerPub/GrangerClub to unpure given that the qvm is essentially old 1.1 code with mulutiprotocol ported, so it is going to have to be tested when we have some free time (there is a lot of work being done at the moment to ensure that the initial release occurs as soon as possible).

2 Likes