Move from windows to linux

1. Delete off everything and then re-install the original Tremulous client. Then download the backport - tremulous.x86
  2. Move the new file to the proper directory
    #sudo mv tremulous.x86 /usr/lib/tremulous/tremulous
  3. Change the file to be executable.
    #sudo chmod +x /usr/lib/tremulous/tremulous

for tjw backport

1. #sudo apt-get install tremulous

2. Now download the x86 file that would replace the executable you have
    To be sure, make a backup of the old executable file.

3. #sudo mv /usr/lib/tremulous/tremulous /usr/lib/tremulous/tremulous_old
    Move the new file to the proper directory

4. #sudo mv tremulous.x86 /usr/lib/tremulous/tremulous
    Change the file to be executable.

5. #sudo chmod +x /usr/lib/tremulous/tremulous

(if im not mistaken) if my post is complicated just ignore my post :expressionless:

your sincerely
Sopian

I tried the installer-less archive as suggested by DevHC because I just can’t install the tremulous-1.1.0-installer.x86.run file
Just WTF:

Seems like you’re trying to run a .exe on linux, no such thing. Also looks like you’re trying to get to /tremulous/.tremulous to me

No, I unzipped tremulous-1.1.0.zip into ~/Downloads/trem/tremulous, went there and tried to run the executable - tremulous.x86, it said: No such file or directory

install the ia32-libs package.

Thx DevHC, i finally got the installer working (If someone is interested - by following instructions in the first answer of http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23182765/how-to-install-ia32-libs-in-ubuntu-14-04-lts-trusty-tahr), but there is another problem lol.

So its successfully installed, but when I run it, it opens TTY and this is there:
http://p.grangerhub.org/view/92175848

Looks like someone wrote menddef instead of menudef in the menu files…

So I tried to compile trem from source which ofc failed too, again here is the output:
http://p.grangerhub.org/view/9d5da0e1

Thx for help

no, that’s a known memory corruption error due to incorrect programming. the error does not show up on all machines. if u compile the program urself from the same source code (without bugfixes), then it’s not very likely that the error will go away.

when Tremulous was released, for „better quality assurance”, compilation warnings were forced to be compilation errors using the -Werror flag. and the code did compile at that time. however, compilers have changed since, and now give new warnings and, thus, errors. remove the use of -Werror from the Makefile.

your installer might be corrupt, check over your data files.

tbh the linux trem installer was pretty garbage, i always prefered the zip archive.

i’d prefer to extract the archive into a folder such as ~/.local/bin/tremulous and make a symlink

sudo ln -s ~/.local/bin/tremulous/tremulous.x86 /usr/bin/tremulous && chmod +x /usr/bin/tremulous

also grab a binary for an updated client here
im not sure if trem is still in the repos, i think it is on ubuntu, but before you compile do

sudo apt-get build-dep tremulous

run tremulous and it’ll create a folder in your home folder called .tremulous (~/.tremulous), that’s where you put your qkey and client side modes and stuff.

also make sure your drivers are up to date.

Ok, it finally works when using the zip archive and Tremfusion-0.99r3-linux64. But the linux installer is really garbage :smiley:
Thx everyone for help

I tried installing tremulous that way on ubuntu and it says: “Unable to find package tremulous”
I then tried with the installer and it’s kind of installed but when I run tremulous the trem console goes fullscreen and says it couldn’t find ui stuff, so I can’t play

Try tremfusion. Follow the instructions in README file from the archive.

There is also more information about Tremfusion on this topic:

For some reasons it works with tremfusion, thanks!
I have one more problem tho. When I try to connect to grangerpub it says I must download some files and when I click on download from website/server it didn’t work. I thought it was due to cl_allowDownload being set to 0, so I set it to 1 but it still doesn’t work. It does that only with grangerpub, but other servers seems to work

do you have curl installed?

sudo apt-get install curl

it’s already installed

When I try to connect to the server a message pop-up and says that I need to download slacker/vms-1.1.0.pk3. Both “download from website” and “download from server” doesn’t work even tho I have cl_allowDownload set to 1 in /home/.tremulous/base/autogen.cfg

what happens when you click download from website or download from server? any error messages in console?

When I click download from website, I just go back to the menu and when I click on download from server the pop-up goes away and then come back

The message is:
"You are missing files provided by the server. You may need to download these files in order to play on the server:

slacker/vms-1.1.0.pk3
slacker/ui.pk3

The server redirects to the following URL:
http://us1.grangerhub.org"