Telenode and map-based teleporter behavior changes

if u spawn-die, there is no punishment: u don’t lose anything that u otherwise would have had (though the enemy can gain a lot; good job for capturing a spawn1).

1 ofc that automatically doesn’t make sense, because whenever the enemy wins, u lose

missing the pointdid i mention that u’re ? the most significant part of spawn-camping is that the campers get a load of credits/evos. postponing the humanchomping by 1 second hardly makes any difference.

You lose: time (that you could otherwise have spent, well, playing the game properly).

Maybe with an extra second humans have a chance to step out of the way and gain some situation awareness and injure / kill the spawn-camping alien or deconstruct the camped spawn?

This is true if it happens once or twice in a few seconds, but repeatedly being killed when you spawn for each consecutive spawn, without getting a chance to spawn elsewhere at a non-camped spawn, is punishing. Those situation happen when all or most of the remaining eggs are camped, or if there are significantly more players thn spawns in the spawn queue, or if the last spawn is being camped.

WRONG. if u spawn from a captured telenode/egg, then that most likely means that u can’t spawn elsewhere (so there is no difference for u), because the other spawns r overloaded (if they exist at all). if u actually can spawn at multiple telenodes/eggs, then what u lose is just 2 seconds, which is practically nothing.

i’ll also note that in the overloaded case, if u were once in the spawn queue, and had to reenter after a spawn-death, then u don’t lose time, but rather not gain time. and when u happen to spawn from a non-camped telenode/egg upon the “first” entry, u gain time. or, obviously, u see that there is an average spawning frequency (based on the amount of non-camped nodes), and camped nodes add some dispersion.

situational awareness is hardly of any use. a dragoon will still chomp/pounce down a human easily.

about destroying the telenode: no, because the proposal is for the spawned, invincible human to not be able to hurt the aliens as well (obviously, what is meant is that damage can’t be done by the spawner as well).

about deconstructing the telenode: there is hardly any difference: if the camped node is deconstructable at all, then the best way to deconstruct it is by immediately looking down and executing “deconstruct”.

I moved 5 posts to an existing topic: An educational video

When i read the title; i thought you were gonna suggest telenodes as teleporters. E.g., step on one, pop out of another.

I like the idea of telefragging, with the stipulation that it only telefrags human team players who have gone AFK while spawn queue, etc (general standing on node when shouldn’t).

The existing spawn-block smack is abusable; we used to use this as human and alien to reach ledges we shouldn’t be able too until s2 or tedious hardcore parkour. (Though quirks like this are why I like Tremulous)

I’ve seen F server make use of telenodes as teleporters, where you would press q at a node, and teleport to another one, and you can keep pressing q to cycle through all of the nodes. This might actually be something good to implement in mainstream trem (it would be easy enough to implement I think, since the code already exists) . There has also been discussion on these forums about doing something similar for aliens with hovels: Can we bring the Hovel back? - #4 by dGr8LookinSparky

1 Like