Vanilla Game Mode for Tremulous 1.3: Changelog

I kill a lot with the actual luci, I just dont hold shots since I dont use bugs or exploits to have advantage over other players. I just keep charging it and secondary shot to release the charge if I don’t see aliens in Gpub. The thing is, the toggle thing is a BUG and BUGS need to be squashed, but devs are very willing to bring an alternative to don’t squash that bug completely and let it live with some features.

Other players are free to learn to use the bug. It’s been used so much by so many people in so much time that I doubt it’s even considered a bug anymore.

WRONG. Not all bugs are negative. You need bugs in an ecosystem to keep it working.

I made it so that the rate at which the ammo is reduced can be adjusted, it can even be turned off if found necessary from tests.

Try it out in some games before disregarding it, we can always improve it.

While it may have accidentally balanced the game play, the item toggle bug makes no sense, a feature of a weapon should not depend on switching back and forth between weapons. I want to duplicate the functionality in a non-buggy way, although I am trying something a little different in functionality in the process first.

@MaeJong mentioned to me that with the right timing, item toggle can preserve the charge, so I’m enabling that with an adjustable nerf (cost in ammo).

I can’t see anything besides a bug balancing the lucifer cannon as much/more than the itemtoggle did. It requires timing and attention. Just being able to see what you’re doing with your luci charge kills the whole principle of the itemtoggle.

Over time, people have learned not to facefuck a luci even when they hold a blaster. The only valid time frame to attack a luci is when they already shot, or if you’re really agile. #RIPskills

Sparky as much as I appreciate the explanation and effort in this you should just stay away from Luci altogether unless you change something aesthetically like Hero said.

It is important to understand that we are not changing 1.1 code, we aren’t even working on 1.1 code, the code we are working on came from where 1.2 left off (and 1.2 came from the 1.1 code), so technically any change in game play we make is a change from the gpp game play. Any feature that we bring back from 1.1 that was removed/altered in gpp, even if it behaves exactly the same as 1.1 vanilla, is actually a change.

The item toggle bug was already fixed in gpp. I don’t want to bring back bugs, but rather duplicate important functionality in a non bug like feature, that was previously accidentally introduced in a bug.

If need be, we could even remove the charge bar for the Vanilla mode. Although I do want to try out your suggestion for a charge ring thing (but again, for vanilla mode we can drop that completely). If ultimately the behaviour of the luci has to be exactly the same as the 1.1 vanilla behaviour, that is fine, and this work is not wasted, as swirl could always use a resulting new luci. But if we are going to duplicate the exact behavior of the 1.1 vanilla luci, lets do it in a non-buggy way that would make conceptual sense to potential new players. As we do want to grow the playerbase.

Until we get to the final form of the luci, it doesn’t hurt to try some new things in the process which might give us new ideas to solve the problems.

I tried it on the test server (before this edit) and suggested to revert back to the itemtoggle bug. I also said that it would piss off most 1.1 players (myself included).

We’ve been playing trem since we were children. We don’t want new things. We like the luci and are amazing with it. As I said do what ever you wish on your modded server, we want 1.1 vanilla’s luci.

2 Likes

“Why wouldn’t people be able to chase dragoons with lucifer?”