Why are you still playing with a 1.1.0 client?

yeah screw all the people who have kept this game going for 10 years. forget those people. forget the loyal fan-base, we don’t need them.

make better maps matth

5 Likes

this is the same “loyal” fanbase (on Tremulous.net) that went completely fucking ape shit when Amanieu first announced his new TremFusion client and everyone thought he was secretely trying to undermine the soon-to-be-released Tremulous v1.2 next Thursday. I know I’m not the only person who remembers this clusterfuck

every single person active on this forum who knows anything about this glorified Quake 3 mod of a TEN FUCKING YEAR OLD game must legitimately exist somewhere on the autism spectrum

FUCK EVERYONE

ITS TIME TO LET IT GO

For the playerbase to completely transition to a new client the following needs to occur:

• The new client must have a better quality than all previous clients

• The new client must perform at least as well on any current player’s computer as any of the old clients

• The new client must be playable on all players’ current favorite Trem servers

• The new client must be easy to find and download

• The new client must be easy to install

• Last and certainly not least, the new client must include an updater so that it would no longer be a big deal to move forward when there are future updates.

1 Like

Sssh.

An analytical person might read your post and find out what secrets are being conjured in the lava pits.

Nothing to see here, folks. Keep playing your 1.1 clients. :police_car:

as far as i remember? i don’t have the best memory regarding this, but it was mostly the trem DEVS that were throwing a fit over tremfusion.

there wasn’t enough trem devs to fill 30 pages of salt or else we would have trem 2.3 by now

the biggest opponents of tremfusion were undeference, khalsa, norfenstein…all of the devs working on GPP.

as i recall most of the community such as myself supported tremfusion. and amanieu was someone who we all knew really cared about tremulous in general.

That isn’t unique to the Tremulous 1.1 playerbase. Murphy’s law essentially states that if something can go wrong, people will find a way to make it go wrong. When the community grows, expect more duchebagy-behavior to come with it as well, However, that behavior can be significantly mitigated with improved technology that fixes a lot of things that can go wrong.

The funny part is Trem isn’t even getting new players, and it never will. “Let’s just treat the player base on GrangerPub like shit and never fix any of the problems, it’s fine, when we release Tremulous 1.3 in 10 years we’ll regrow the entire Tremulous population to 90 trillion peopelzz!!!11”

And this “better quality” must include all of the features of previous clients as well. I know for a fact many people won’t switch from TremFusion unless the client they switch to has native support for separate alien/human binds (I forget the cvar to auto-switch binds based on team, but TremFusion does have one). The various scr_con* cvars are one thing that I would require before even considering switching clients, and the p_* variables are also highly important to me.

In other words, it can’t be an “artificial” better quality, it has to actually outshine every single other client (besides THZ, etc.) in every way, or you won’t get the entire player base to transition over.

3 Likes

Wtf is a “new player”

1 Like

What you say isn’t wrong but has little to do with gh. Also this doesn’t change the fact that most of your current players see you as a slave who has to deliver features at their command.

1 Like

To know how to advance and improve the game you can do it only by consulting and having the feedback from old players, not the new. About what to bet on what to go further, on what to leave… Only the old players may know. Knowing what to also improve and especially in the context of the challenges between clans, to give a competitive twist to the game… Only the old players may know.

I like your post, Matth, especially because you do so much pedantic when, more than some maps, you did anything. I am not, on the other hand, a programmer or a computer expert, also because in my life I do something different, but I know this game like my pockets. And not just me. Face, Hero, Dracone, servers leaders.
If I go back in time, these are the names that have left something to this game. These are the names to focus to improve and relaunch the game.

So if you do not mind, back to improve some old map. I liked utcsud.

I do not think at all that those who are working for the 1.3 are our slaves. Thank you for the work you are doing. I asked a few questions, promptly retaken by dGr8LookinSparky. The answers he gave me, also, were what I was hoping. I think we should all give a hand for the game, each with the ability he has. My only complain is that programmers might ask a little more in terms of playability and balance, which in any case I think they will do once released a beta.

Dear Matth, before you speak, think about what each of us has tried to do for this game. Even return to play, repopulate servers, trying not to kill the game, is a “useful work.”

3 Likes

Lots of distractions but let me just say this: I didn’t say that all old players are these kind of douchebags and i didn’t say that getting feedback from players is wrong. I also didn’t say that sparky or any other dev never replied to ppl who asked questions. Furthermore this wasn’t about my dev i did. But what i did was teeling sparky my expereience and opinion, dev to dev you know. You don’t have to like it. Peace.

1 Like

If it’s only a “dev to dev” reply, then do it via IRC. We don’t need your opinion if it’s not constructive. Actually, it’s offensive, even because, dear Matth, like you said before, only a minority part of old players don’t want an upgrade. Actually, I didn’t see someone of old players saying “1.1.0 is cool, don’t change it.”.
@MaeJong: from my opinion, like I said before, 1.1 gameplay was better than 1.2. Dunno how is 1.3, let’s wait the beta.

Wrong, most of the current players don’t give a shit about features and want him to leave 1.1 alone.

Features =/= tweaks, 1.1 port’s gameplay presumably won’t be that different from the current 1.1.

Also,

The main reason these ‘‘ninja-votes’’ or decons happen is often because the map plays like crap to begin with, not because of whether it looks like shit or not.

1 Like

Another reason to focus on new players. :+1:

WHAT NEW PLAYERS?

The only reason Tremulous is even alive is because the old players have stuck around so long. It does not gain a sustainable amount of new players, if it even gains any new players at all (which I am yet to see real proof of). And Tremulous 1.3 isn’t going to do jack shit to change that.

2 Likes

Most of the very small minority of “new players” are recruited by old players.

3 Likes

And? If you don’t care and no new players will come because of your crystal ball then why you care to reply anyways (lol).

1 Like