Map prefabs collection

I was thinking it might be a good idea to maintain a collection of models, textures and sounds and primary map prefabs that can be used by mappers.

As i understand netradiant has no concept of prefabs, but this can be worked around with importing and if people really use this, ingar might be persuaded to implements such a feature.

It might even be extend in such a way that it might be applicable to other games too, perhaps shared with other communities, such as xonotic and spring.

2 Likes

I fully support this idea. However, I would ultimately like to see prefabs in a .blend. Blender can export .map for radiant, or even directly compile BSP thanks to newer exporters.

Radiant can use .reg region files (saved from any selected part of .map), but I believe sharing the resources in Blender is the way to go because things like textures and shaders can be included in a unified package more easily.

If you love Blender so much, why don’t you just go marry it?

While she looks pretty and can bake, she’s filled with pythons.

If blender has support for .map reading it would be more reasonable for prefabs to be in .map format as netradiant cannot use blender files, which would effectively restrict mapping to blender.

Anyone gonna setup a repo or so? I could contribute some minor bits for starters.

1 Like

https://gitlab.com/grangerhub/map-prefabs.git

@Code_Man ping me on IRC about this

Better late than never, i tried reaching you over irc but no luck there.