Vanilla Game Mode for Tremulous 1.3: Changelog

If the net bp regeneration rate is the same, I don’t think there would be any game play difference, with all else being equal, between one bp being returned at a time vs two bp being returned at a time.

Compare one bp every second vs two bp every two seconds. For any given buildable, for both approaches you would have to wait the same amount of time to build. In the case where there is 0 bp left on the human team, then the dc is killed a little over 7 seconds before sd (but less than 8 seconds), true for the one bp every second approach you would only get to 7 bp before sd and not be able to rebuild the dc, but with the two bp approach you would only have 6 bp and you still could not build the dc. The same would apply to any other buildable.

Good point. As a side note, the vanilla gpp sd was a bit biased against humans in a different way since nothing could be rebuilt, not even the Overmind nor Reactor, and aliens would have a chance without a base, but humans would not (in most scenarios).

This is actually the reason why I think 2 BP at a time makes more sense. 1 BP does nothing, so it might as well be multiples of 2 at half the rate. Personal preference.

Yep, this. SD is so drastically different between the two that you have to be careful when adapting parts of each. Without some plan for how to manage the BP queue in SD, I don’t think this idea will float.

1 bp regen increments might “look smoother” than 2. Additionally, if anyone wanted to mod the Vanilla Game Mode in a way that makes the bp value of an existing or new buildable odd, the 1 bp regen increments would have an advantage over the 2. That kind of mod combined with the possibility of making maximum bp value for a team odd, would mean that the 2 bp regen increment would not allow a full recovery of the maximum bp.

We are trying out a new design for the Lucifer Cannon.

• While charging for the primary shot by holding down left click, you can reduce the charge by also holding down right click, if you release right click, the charge resumes to increase. This gives you more control on firing the primary luci shot with a particular charge, and gives you more control on when you fire. Hopefully this would be a good replacement to the item toggle bug.

• The primary luci shot can be fired with different speeds depending on how much charge it has, at its maximum charge, it travels at its slowest speed which is the same speed as in 1.1 vanilla, at its minimum charge, it fires at slightly less than double that speed.

• The secondary luci shot fires at twice the speed of the speed of the luci in 1.1 vanilla

This experimental luci will be available for testing at today’s Saturday dev games on the test7341 server. Be sure to post your thoughts on how it works out.

1 Like

As @Woodbury has recommended, while the primary charge is being reduced by holding down +attack2 (right mouse click), the ammo is reduced (currently at a rate of 25% of the ammo value of the difference in the charge).

1 Like

The luci charge bar is now located directly under the cross hairs.

The luci charge bar is only visible while charging the primary attack.

So dark… Sparky turn up your brightness pls.

Make it slightly more transparent. (or cvar controlled)

Also +2 charisma points for red lights on the luci model, just needs to shoot red projectiles now.

How about making the charge bar be in the actual crosshair? (“spins” around it for example)

I feel like the charge bar under crosshair might be slightly too invasive for some people when they goon. (As in it’s there 95% of the time since pounce is majorly used in movement)

Hgnrgrneezkffezgrmgrmgrgmrgr.

This is going to be a problem for me because after years of practice I’ve grown accustomed to the sound of a full charge.

It still have sound. This change is just to track the bar without taking your eyes off your crosshair, since you can reduce luci charge with +mouse2 in compensation of the toggle bug charge.

It is superfluous. Having a moving bar on my screen detracts from my vision.

1 Like

Don’t change Luci pls. Caesar, hero, and I will find you and kill you. Luci is my bread and butter.

Instead of the change, maybe different HUD arrangements can be made and selected through a menu, that includes the position of this charging bar, btw, I think if you use a custom HUD the bar will stay just as it is, please confirm this.

But, we should test this, so i’m expecting bird and hero tomorrow :sunglasses:

This. Do not mess up something that I have spent years of my life perfecting.

I’m with everyone on this. Itemtoggle bug was the best bug to ever happen on tremlas. Also with the current changes (esp. the right click), even without testing I can tell it’s probably shit. You either die too quickly or have no ammo when you get to aliens base.

You must test it first, for the first time in my life I can hold a charged luci shot to 1 shot a goon or hard damage a tyrant, because I have never used the toggle bug thing. So even non pro bug toggle cvar expert players can have a chance to feel pro too, and not just wonder “how the fuck this guy kills my adv goon with 1 shot just turning at the corner”.

@MaeJong , @bird & @Hero ,

The charge bar is an essential indicator for how this luci currently works, as the speed of the primary charged luci shot is variable depending on how much it is charged (less charge means faster speed, so there is an advantage in various situations to fire at a lower charge), and since you can precisely control the charge level by pressing and releasing right click while you are going through the charging process by holding left click, this is meant to be a much better alternative to the item toggle bug.

I’ve only had the opportunity to try this new luci in very small games so far, and it is feeling very nice, but I want to see how it works out in larger games, and I want to get input from the hardcore 1.1 players about it from their use of this luci. The values are very easy to adjust for any fine-tuning that we might discover to be required from the tests.

I kept most of the base values of this luci the same as 1.1 vanilla so that the timing of a full charge, and the warning sound are exactly the same. I would prefer to have this luci to be a new standard for both Swirl and Vanilla if possible, so that mastering this new luci in either game mode, meeds mastering it for both game modes, provided end result is satisfactory to 1.1 vanilla players in general.

We plan on having the primary charged luci shot red, and maybe keeping the secondary luci shot blue.

I like that idea, although I’ll have to figure out how to make such a new kind of charge bar (or charge ring rather), this current charge bar is the same one that gpp used but with just a different position. In gpp the charge bar was located in the bottom right corner of the screen.

This does not affect the charge bar positions for the goon/rant.

Had you learned to use itemtoggle you would’ve understood this is a MAJOR luci nerf. No offense, it just is a pretty dumb replacement in my opinion. You can bind itemtoggle so you can keep the luci loaded constantly. The problem with this is that it probably eats ammo very badly and is even “harder” (I wouldn’t say harder, more of a hassle because itemtoggle requires timing) to use than itemtoggle itself. Also if right click now has that function, you can’t do bait shots anymore, and a lot of the strategical stuff that implied canceling your luci charge with a secondary shot.

No.

No.

Do not change the luci. Leave it the way it is. If you want to make aesthetic changes such as a blue secondary fire (instead of yellow) that is fine. Do not change the mechanics of the Luci for vanilla. Do what ever you want in your mods.

1 Like

How about making this a luci cannon “upgrade” option that can be bought for 200 credits?

Players are rewarded for using the more challenging control of the shots by spending less credits.

Although I am concerned for balance, I tested this weapon and was able to consistantly hold a close to full charge for excessive amounts of time. L cannon is already incredibly powerful.