GHub Olympian Registry [SCRIMS]

Ok. I’ll waiting bird for decision. :wink:

Ok, I just got replied and Teamspeak will be used.

The Main Reason:

Another Reason:

Cool. Unregistered.

Yo hero just wondering: bird is in fk and according to avarthar, decided to use teamspeak for this event. You’re clearly keen on using discord, what do you use in scrims?

We use Discord @DarkMicrobe

1 Like

@hero We will provide a teamspeak, but nothing forces you to use it. You and your teammates can use Discord if you want. But you might expect a bit more time to be answered by the admins and the judges of the olympics when they happen.

1 Like

If you’re unregistering because of the server’s use of Teamspeak over Discord then that is unnecessary. Players can use whichever vocal medium they prefer meaning we are free to use Discord as a team. Avarthar is merely offering a public TS3 server for any of the public to use.

1 Like

I mean, it’s still a fucking retarded decision to not use Discord, the VoiP program that has better quality, uses less RAM, and doesn’t even require any downloads, in favor of a program with worse quality, that uses more RAM, has more security backdoors, requires a download, and has more complicated options and setup.

But then again, knowing the administration of GrangerHub, it’s a logical decision to make the sub-optimal choice.

@brid , if Fk (a prominent Tremulous clan) has satisfied experience with using Discord, and seems to prefer it over TeamSpeak, why don’t we go in that direction for the official VOIP of the GrangerHub Olympic games (if Discord is indeed the superior choice)?

As much as I’d like the majority of the server population to take a page out of Fk’s book I didn’t think you or them would go for that option. I suggested teamspeak for the masses because of the familiarity of it, I reckon (even though the program is incredibly simple) people will have troubles with Discord and/or have trepidation trying out a new voice comm medium. However, I would be more than happy to encourage the use of Discord for the Olympics.

1 Like

You are implying that the majority of “the masses” are already familiar with TeamSpeak. Even if you assume that all members of all clans have TeamSpeak (which is already doubtful), that leaves a vast quantity of players who don’t have any VoiP program besides perhaps Skype. Honestly, I’d expect more players have Skype downloaded than TeamSpeak, but Skype is terrible for VoiP in-game and many people like to keep their Skype secret for real life friends and family. I think one reason you feel TS3 is more familiar is because you are more familiar with it, and while it is true that many people would be more familiar with TS3 than Discord, I’d wager that even more people are unfamiliar with both. If that expectation is accurate, then Discord is the logical choice for VoiP because it does not require a download, people can connect to a server from their browser using a single link rather than an IP address, it is more intuitive than TeamSpeak (if perhaps less versatile), and it has better voice codecs. Honestly, I’d expect that a majority of players who don’t use voice chat for this event will not use it because they don’t have a mic rather than because they don’t want to use a certain VoiP program, especially when it’s a program that you don’t even have to download.

Just let teams use whichever medium of communication they want to.

3 Likes

I’m just going to leave this here.

This is being handled poorly. This thread was made two weeks ago and the maps, teams and dates have not been posted.

I’m not a petty person. You know for a fact that I would have used Discord regardless. I’ve unregistered because this is unorganized and is taking too long.

I would like to leave my 2 cents here about the comms system.
I Have been looking into Discord and currently started using it for my other games for ranked purposes.
It is a pretty good system and is incredibly easy to pick up.
It doesn’t create any lagg whatsoever it’s literally just another background app which has a good use.
I for one wouldn’t mind using either.

@hero I think we still need to encourage more people to sign up either way. We don’t have a huge player base but we could have more to make this a bigger thing. Holding out maybe a better option.

I’m still waiting for Sparky’s imaginary Alaskan and Hawaiian trem players to register @Gematria

Edit:

[s’go]Post a table/spreadsheet of all the players that have currently registered. It will give hold outs an idea of what the teams will look like, who they will be working with and who they will be playing against.[/supportivememberofthecommunity]

1 Like

I wasn’t planning on holding this tournament until at least March. As Hobbit mentioned we are waiting for more people to show. Avarthar, SUN, and I talk daily (albeit briefly) about the Olympics. Once we have a more sizable player base the brackets and map choices will be revealed therein.

In other words you’re going to continue doing absolutely nothing.

Essentially, yes. The Council can/will deliberate, but we will probably do nothing publicly until we amass the appropriate amount of players.

I don’t think you fully comprehend the amount of planning this will require. Getting all those people on at the same time for the duration of a potential 150 minute game (assuming it goes three rounds) will be impossible, especially if PST has to face CET.

Get your bracket made, choose the maps and give people advanced notice. Realistically you’re getting 5-10 more people, that’s not including the inevitable dropouts.

1 Like