Thursday's Tremulous 1.3 Alpha Release

Sorry, I meant downloaded from http because git on NIGW64 gives me anal sores

Hmm, my super schizoid detective skillz are telling me there is an underlying reason why all this shit is so rushed !

Perhaps it was that we wanted to make the THURSDAY™ deadline, and the community was overdue (by about 8 years or so) for a RELEASE™ in tension so that the community can refocus on making the initial Tremulous 1.3 full release as awesome as possible without being distracted by B.S. :slight_smile: ?

1 Like

Just a heads up for all those planning on using this on Windows, the initial startup may take a while. For me it took 5 mins or more.

After this is opens like any normal trem client. As to why it’s done this I haven’t got a clue but it sat at 13% CPU usage while a was watching it. (I forgot I clicked to open it)

Hi @JustShaun,

This is actually a known thing-

This client on first startup:

1. Will perform a pk3 bootstrap, downloading missing default pk3’s
  2. Will Generate a RSA public/private keypair

Both run prior to the Tremulous window ever opening
Both can be slow, particularly the RSA key generation

Thanks

4 Likes

That clears a lot up for me, thanks!

I noticed that if was downloading however that finished fairly quickly it the process just seemed to idle.

4 Likes

yes, @dGr8LookinSparky, ignore the reasons and release, ignore my callouts, and argue (quoted above) using the reasons themselves. clean and sensical.1

1 NOOOOOT !!!1!

This topic is no longer a banner. It will no longer appear at the top of every page.

It wont work i just copied all files and i have run tremulous-gpp.exe and it wont run. Maybe will you just make a normal client will you ?

@Pax123 you mean “tremulous.exe”?

no i mean “D:\Program Files (x86)\Tremulous\tremulous-gpp.exe” but when i run tremulous.exe still i dont see anyt changes

@Pax123 , the name of the binary for the 1.3 alpha client is “tremulous.exe”. After you have downloaded the .zip release for your platform, unzip that folder anywhere, and then run tremulous.exe in that folder. It will then download any assets you might be missing, and generate an RSA key (this may take a few minutes, but after you run the client the first time, you would startup quickly each subsequent time).

If you want to, you could move that binary to where your old Tremulous binary(ies) is/are (in your case to D:\Program Files (x86)\Tremulous) , but make sure that you copy all of the contents of the unzipped release directory to wherever you moved the the 1.3 alpha tremulous.exe to (including the base, gpp, gpp_11, scripts, and tmp folders, as well as granger.exe, tremded.exe, and all the libraries).

Backup your existing Tremulous if you intend on replacing the binaries.. Or you can simply continue to run the new client from wherever the unzipped release folder is.

it ask me to download and i allowed it but then nothing else happen, any download progress or anything, later its telling me that it cant fin default.cfg and then i click ok and nothing…

I appologize for the inconvenience @Pax123 , issues come up with alpha releases, thank you for being patient. The issue you are experiencing some others have encountered as well. The bootstrap process that is suppose to download the needed assets doesn’t always work for everyone. In the next day or so, we will be looking into having the needed assets packaged with the release .zip files. I’ll ping you when we have that fixed. Again, thank you for your patience.

especially when they’re rushed !

1 Like

note to everyone: an alpha release isn’t for regular users to test. the alpha testing phase is supposed to be conducted in-house, by developers. regular users should wait until a beta release.

2 Likes

You don’t have to release something if it’s to be tested only by those who released it. This is a dumb logic. Also 1.3 client seems like it is a bug-mansion. It even has regressions from tremfusion.

ok i am waiting then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Keep reporting any issues you find on our github.com issue tracker @Obani ( Issues · GrangerHub/tremulous · GitHub ) , your reports are very much appreciated and I encourage more players to do the same. Generally speaking in order for bugs to be fixed they must first be identified and understood, and the more issues that are brought to our attention, the better quality we can work towards for the 1.3 full release. This is one of the main benefits of publicly testing even alpha releases of the client. I would like to see the 1.3 client make all existing older Tremulous clients completely obsolete by the time we are ready for the full release.

@Pax123 , we are still working on a fix for this issue, but you can attempt to manually work around this issue by following the instructions from the following post that has helped another player with the same issue:

It appears I’ve done the right choice.